× Welcome to the Sakic.Net forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Non GPL discussions and Sakic extensions

16 years 9 months ago #1112 by netfly
Hello Emir,

I would like to know if the Non GPL statement for Joomla third party will affect your job here and us like customers. Do you think to leave Joomla like some developers or you will update your extensions and create new ones?

Thx!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #1113 by Saka
My position on the issue can be found here: jcd-a.org/content/view/15/33/
You, as end user, have nothing to worry about.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

15 years 1 week ago #4181 by thefactory
Emir,

since jcd-a is gone for good (it's offline for months) and in regards of the new extension website policy of not listing non-gpl extensions what are your thoughts about this issue.
Sorry if i maybe missed some post regarding this matter in joomla org forums or similar, but i am really interested in your thoughts since i followed your work from the mambo times and i have a great deal of respect for your work  ;)

Thanks and keep up the good work
Andy
The Factory

15 years 1 week ago - 14 years 10 months ago #4186 by Saka
When I was in Mambo and Joomla core team we had encouraged both GPL and proprietary components for our CMS. Our position has always been that the author has right to decide which license he/she wants to use for his own work, as long as the component does not have GPL code (parts of Joomla) in it. There are many that believe that this open position has greatly helped Joomla to achieve the popularity it has and this great number of components and support.

Situation changed after I left the core team and some new people began to assume radical position and wanted to change this (probably because of personal reasons). Based on false assumptions (like a statement that non-gpl components may not make Joomla API calls which is ridiculous) they managed to get rest of the team with them and to suddenly change Joomla policy. Repeatedly they refuse to answer on which legal advice they based this assumption while we presented several professional legal opinions on why components can have any license they want.

So they decided to take a first step and remove non-GPL components from JDE which is very unfortunate for Joomla. My own proprietary components will be removed from that directory. You have nothing to worry about as you will be still be able to come here and continue getting quality software and support for Joomla. :)

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch