Few Questiond

15 years 3 months ago #4545 by crebbo
Hi,

I just purchased SEF Advance, and was wondering on a couple of issues im having.

1) It appears to keep adding a trailing '/' to my urls. domain.com/blog/  - Is there a reason for this?

2) I'd like numerical digits in only certain sections such as in sef404 (not all my content). If i then manually create an alias for these urls, my internal links will still refer to the new sef url with digits!?

3) Should I change my default joomla .htaccess in anyway? or is it ok?

4) The alias and meta doesn't seem to work when I have suffix turned on. That is to say, suppose I have a url that i'd now like to add custom title/meta data to. I enter the non sef URL and then the my new SEF URL (i dont actually want to change the url, just associate custom meta data with it so i keep the new alias as the actual url). This doesnt appear to work unless the alias is different from the new .html url. When i turn this option of it works, providing i dont include a trailing slash into the url.

If anyone can have a pop at answering these id be greateful.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #4546 by Saka
Hi,

1) Yes. Because Apache does that with directories too. If you use suffix it will not add the slash.

2) You can on only have it for all URLs right now.

3) Not necessary.

4) For alias it's best to use non-sef URL. Turn off the SEF completely in global configurations to find out the non-sef URL.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #4547 by crebbo
Thanks. Could you elaborate on a few points

1) it didn't do this before with joomla default. I have a page that google page rank is lost if it has a trailing slash but without has the page rank?

2) I understand it's only possible on all URLs for now but if I create an alias for a URL should that alias not be references throughout the site as the main URL to the article? As I only want numerical urls on news articles.

4) what I meant was, that with suffix turned on, how can I create custom meta data for an article? If I don't want the sef advance URL to change or a new alias for that article? It only currently works if I give it a different alias to the sef URL and visit the page on the new alias.

For instance, the following does not trigger the new meta data (uses old joomla meta):

no sef url: index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=bingoNewsArticle&id=10
alias: bingo-promotions/article-name-xxxxxxx.html (this is the url that Sef Advance gave it)

However, if i give it an alias different from the sef advance url:

no sef url: index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=bingoNewsArticle&id=10
alias: bingo-promotions/aliasname

if i navigate to : bingo-promotions/aliasname

the meta data works

cheers

Cheers

15 years 3 months ago #4551 by Saka
1) Right, Joomla core-SEF doesn't redirect to slash version. SEF Advance does it to replicate real Apache server directory behavior. It will redirect so your new page should quickly gain the same PR.

2) Yes it should, if you created the alias correctly-

4) Alias should be entered without trailing slash or suffix. So please use: bingo-promotions/article-name-xxxxxxx and it should work.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

15 years 3 months ago #4552 by crebbo
1) Ok, accepted. Thanks for the info.

2) How do you make it so that its the main url?, I appear to be creating the alias correctly.

For instance, my url created by sef advance is:

bingo-reviews/wink-bingo-2008112441.html

but i'd like it to be: bingo-reviews/wink-bingo.html (throughout the site)

But I can now naviagte to it typing:

bingo-reviews/wink-bingo.html
bingo-reviews/wink-bingo
bingo-reviews/wink-bingo-2008112441.html

But the url i want is: bingo-reviews/wink-bingo.html with all others pointing to  bingo-reviews/wink-bingo.html

BUT THE MAIN ISSUE, is when using: ContentHelperRoute::getArticleRoute(id); it refers to bingo-reviews/wink-bingo-2008112441.html as does my xmap plugin. But really it should be bingo-reviews/wink-bingo.html

Almost there.. ;D

cheers

4) ok,works cheers.

15 years 3 months ago #4553 by Saka
2) Yes, that's why it's called "alias". You can create redirects from other URLs to the main one if you want but the generated URLs should be as defined in alias. If they are not then something is not right. Make sure you turned off all caches and emptied them.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch