Dealing with same articles, different itemid

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #5091 by gauntlett
Hi,

I'm doing a migration for a client from 1.0 -> 1.5 and the issue affects both versions of the site.  However, for what I'm about to explain in 1.0 required created some core functionality changes, and forcing of ItemIDs.

Setup:

The site has a main navigation menu as normal.  There are a variety of sections, but two of them are all I'm worried about.

Section1 and Section1archive

Both sections reference the same articles, but the modules on each section are different.  Section1 has some other links in the left-hand column, whereas the Section1archive section solely has links to content, and search functionality.  The Section1archive display's the content in a category/list view for easy referencing of articles.  

The problem:

If I goto the Section 1, which is a blog layout of articles, and click an article it takes me to the Section1archive menu and layout, and displays the article.  Part of the reason its working this way is that I created a sub-menu for each category in Section1archive.  

So, I'm assuming that due to precedence given to the various views is why this is happening.  Then if I create subcategories that mirror the ones in the Section1archive things work as expected in Section1, the opposite occurs.  The links in the Section1Archive now goto Section1.

Resolution?

1) What is the best practice when referencing the same content and displaying it differently and keeping it in the originally selected section?

2) Is the solution to this something I can do with SEF advance or it is how I layout my content / menus?

Thanks,
G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 9 months ago #5095 by Saka
SEF Advance will pull only one Itemid from database for each article. So one article can only belong to one section, SEF Advance will not allow any workarounds to display articles differently.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch