Pass the SEF'ed URL into php?

17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #814 by andyweb
Hi, I was wondering if there was any way I could pass the SEF version of the URL into PHP? (I have a php script included in the index.php template file)

Using "sefRelToAbs($_SERVER);" only gets me the "dirty URL" unless I have defined an alias.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #816 by Saka
sefRelToAbs( substr( $_SERVER), 1, strlen($_SERVER)-1 ) ); should work if Joomla is installed in root.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

17 years 3 months ago #818 by andyweb
Thanks, but echo'ing that returns nothing, hrmmm. My joomla is installed in the root.

Excuse my ignorance ...but I don't quite understand how that code would help any though.

Thing is I don't want to return the, eg: /index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=23
I'd like to return the SEF'ed version of the URL, eg. /section/category/page-name.html

Is this possible?

PS. I noticed there seemed to be an extra bracket in there, so removed one at the end as the page was breaking at that point.

17 years 3 months ago #839 by andyweb
Well not to worry, I got it ...the command I was after was:

sefRelToAbs($_SERVER);

17 years 3 months ago #847 by it-info

Well not to worry, I got it ...the command I was after was:

sefRelToAbs($_SERVER);

Where to put htis an what are the benefits?

Regards, Christian

17 years 3 months ago #860 by andyweb
Well, I was using this to serve specific banners to the various sections I have on my website.

So I was pulling the sef url, then using the explode function in php to extract the section name and using that name to serve the specific banner I wanted.

I'm sure there can be many uses for it...

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch