Problem with Joomla built-in SEF

4 years 2 months ago #8205 by Basna
Hello everyone,,
I'm looking to set up SEF URLs on a Joomla site. I downloaded the SEF Advance trial version to check the component would work on the site, but have not installed it yet, because the documentation says that Joomla's built-in SEF must be working. However when I turn on Joomla's built-in SEF, some of the site doesn't work - some links are dead, or give me 404 "Article not found" errors. Turning on Apache mod_rewrite makes even more pages crash, and I get "Not Found" and "404 Not Found" errors.

I get the same with sh404SEF: most of the site works fine, but some links (the articles in the Blog section, for some reason) don't work or give me "404 - Article #0 not found." Whether with or without .htaccess selected in sh404SEF config > Advanced > Rewriting mode, makes no difference.

I have checked the following:

1. I have an Apache server
2. mod_rewrite is enabled
3. My server allows .htaccess override (I've tried replacing my .htaccess text with "Redirect /google.html www.google.com " and it does indeed redirect me to Google)
4. SEF URLs are turned on in Joomla Config (giving me, I believe, the line "JConfig { var $sef = '1';" in configuration.php)
5. My htaccess file is called .htaccess (with dot) not htaccess.txt

From other posts on the forum, I think Mr Sakic's first response would probably be that either the .htaccess or mod_rewrite is faulty. But I asked my webhost who says there is no problem with the server setup. (They might of course be wrong?)

It's a bit of a puzzle, but I'd like to install this component so I'd appreciate suggestions. I've looked at the forums etc but don't see anything quite like this, apologies if I missed something.

I am running Joomla 1.5.2, Apache version 2.2.11 (Unix), PHP version 5.2.6, on a Linux server.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #8208 by Saka
Hello,

What do you mean by "SEF Advance trial version" and where did you download that?

Thanks.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch