Title Alias - Just so I'm clear

17 years 1 month ago #1169 by g3brown
Sometimes I want a different URL than the title would produce. For instance, my real title is:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The URL would be:

sitename.com/section/category/the-good,-the-bad,-and-the-ugly/

So... I switch Long URLs to 'no' and set the alias to:

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Now, while my content title is still the same as ever my URL is now more pleasing like so:

sitename.com/section/category/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

(1) So my question (so I'm absolutely clear), is this designed this way? I mean is this the intent of having the Long URLs as on option in SEF Advance?

(2) Is there a downside to setting Long URLs to no that I'm missing? Could this come back and haunt me later on?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago #1232 by g3brown
I've been running with Long URLs set to no for a few weeks now. I'm still wondering if there is downside to this that I'm missing. Besides the fact I must make sure each content item has an alias, I can't reason any other negatives to this approach.

17 years 1 month ago #1233 by Saka
There are no downsides, it's a matter of preference.
With short URLs the section and category titles (which are usually a bit shorter) will be used instead of names and the menu entries for static content items.
And, of course, every item needs to have title alias entered.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch