Multiple domain site

16 years 10 months ago #1586 by wassteve
Hi

almost got the answer to this from the FAQ's but not quite

I want to put sef advance on a joomla site which has 4 different domains pointing to different areas of the site each with its own distinct menus and pages....but all within one joomla implementation

1. can I do this and have urls like

www.domain1.co.uk/content etc

www.domain2.co.uk/other content etc

2. Do I need 1 licence? 4 licences?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #1587 by Saka
Every domain (with a separate Joomla installation) needs a separate license. We can, however, allow extra domains if they all point to same installation (alias domains) like for example domain.co.uk and domain.com

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 10 months ago #1591 by wassteve
Thanks for that....

TBH tho I am less worried about the licencing (I have many sites which could benefit from this if it works so could probably easily justify a server licence) but my key question is will the separate domains all be translated into friendly URL's

eg if one part of an installation has domain.co.uk pointing to it with a menu which points to contentitem1, contentitem2

and domainother.com points to another part of the installation with a menu which points to contentitem3, contentitem4

Both area are within the same Joomla installation...

Will navigation from the first menu result in

domain.co.uk/section/category/contentitem1 or 2

and from the second result in

domainother.com/section/category/contentitem3 or 4

Sorry if this is obvious, I just need clarification

wS

16 years 10 months ago #1597 by Saka
Probably not because you can only have one site configured as live_site in Joomla's configuration file and SEF Advance uses this variable.
It could be possible to dynamically change this variable in configuration.php depending on requested domain.

But to be sure it's best to test with free trial of SEF Advance.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 3 months ago #2740 by matteoraggi
on my web site: www.forniture-alberghiere.net I need to use multiple domains per one only web site.
I need for example:
www.forniture-alberghiere.net for italian language
www.hotelbedarf.biz for german language
www.hotel-supplies.biz for english language
could I do only one installation of joomla 1.0 and then use joomfish with sef advance? or which other good solution I could use?

16 years 3 months ago #2743 by Saka
It could probably be possible but requires some server configurations too. It's not something I can support.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch