Redirect 301 with the Character Replace

16 years 9 months ago #1693 by GabyZ
Hi,

When I installed SEF Advance months ago I didn't think about the characters replace function so I have many characters like "è" that in the rewrited url is "%e8", I can replace the "%e8" with "e" by adding è=>e in the URL Replace box but the old url with "%e8" still exists and i will have google penalty for duplicated content.

Could be done a redirect 301 for urls with the "%e8" to the urls with "e", and so for all characters that have a URL Replace?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #1694 by Saka
You can't replace è=>e!!!
That's one of the most common misconfigurations users do. If you define a replacement like that none of the regular links that contain "e" will work.

Please read FAQ about this matter: www.sakic.net/support/faq/sef_advance/#18

Regarding the redirects you can probably do it by some smart commands in .htacceess.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 9 months ago #1697 by GabyZ
Thanks for your response saka! I read the FAQ and I understand the problem, anyway do you know how the redirect could be done by htaccess for all urls or i have to add a redirect 301 line for every article?

PS The home page now looks great!

16 years 9 months ago #1698 by Saka
You could probably do a character replace and htaccess redirect with RedirectMatch or RewriteRule.
But I can throw it out of my head, would take some research and testing. Best to have a look on Apache rewrite guide and experiment yourself: httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/rewriteguide.html

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 9 months ago #1699 by GabyZ
Thanks for the link.

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch