sef or non sef for internal hyperlinks

16 years 7 months ago #2097 by kiwi2b
Hi folks, newbie question time here ...  ;)
When I make some text into a hyperlink that will link back into my own site, I usually think to navigate in my browser to the page I want, then cut and paste the url into Joomla's WYSIWYG editor.
My question is, does it matter to use sef or non-sef urls to do this? These are all internal links: some lead to text that needs to be indexed, some lead to unimportant pages like the login page, others are for registered readers only.
So, do I just copy whatever is in the browser, or get the non-sef url from the menu manager? Does it matter?  :P
Thanks for your help on this...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #2101 by Saka

16 years 7 months ago #2107 by kiwi2b
Thanks Saka,
I should have checked the FAQ again, sorry.  :P  I'll just quote a line here for anybody else who reads this question to get the info out, and they can follow your link for the full details.

When you create an internal hyperlink in your Joomla! or Mambo (4.5.1 or higher) content always enter a relative, non-sef URL

16 years 7 months ago #2110 by kiwi2b
Okay, just to be sure here..

You say:

Note that some editors might override your link. You may want to turn the editor off or view item's HTML code to make sure the link is relative.
To find out the non-sef address of the page you want to link to you might want to disable SEF for a moment in your global configurations.

So, when making a hyperlink to an internal page, or a menu item to an internal page, we need to use a non-sef url. To be sure we have got the right url we need to:
  • Disable sef advanced.
  • Make sure the WYSIWYG editor isn't messing up the url.
  • And, here is where I am not sure, disable Joomla's sef feature too??  ???
Thanks for your patience  :)

16 years 7 months ago #2112 by Saka
Just find out the non-sef URL and enter it making sure the editor doesn't mess it up. That's all.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch