turn off SEF for wrapper?

16 years 7 months ago #2109 by 3lad3
In one of my wrapper components, I pass variables in the URL.  This has broken with sef advance.  I know you can select components that sef advance excludes, but the wrapper component is not in the list.
How can I get my standard url back for my wrapper component??
I can't set it as an alias because the url variables (trid, tr and un) are not constant.

This is my url that works -
www.4x4earth.com.au/component/option,com...-Bridport/un,northy/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #2111 by Saka
You are talking about hacking the core of Joomla and, of course, SEF Advance can't support hacked core. You should create a new component which will work as wrapper, with a different name. Then it can be excluded or use standard SEF.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 7 months ago #2113 by 3lad3

You are talking about hacking the core of Joomla and, of course, SEF Advance can't support hacked core. You should create a new component which will work as wrapper, with a different name. Then it can be excluded or use standard SEF.

Ok, thanks.  I'm not sure i understand why it would be a hack, but that doesn't matter.  My issue with putting it in a component, is that the php mail() function doesn't work when put in a component, which is why i put it in a wrapper in the first place!  Why it doesn't work i don't know... maybe someone could enlighten me!

thanks,
Gav

16 years 7 months ago #2114 by Saka
Any change in Joomla core files are considered a hack. Anyway, copying the wrapper component in a custom component with another name will fix it.

There is no reason why mail() wouldn't work in components if it work in core files. Try with mosMail().

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 7 months ago #2133 by gk1

Any change in Joomla core files are considered a hack. Anyway, copying the wrapper component in a custom component with another name will fix it.

There is no reason why mail() wouldn't work in components if it work in core files. Try with mosMail().

Hi Emir, I'm facing exactly the same issue and am ok to not have my wrapped urls handled by sef advance. I understand your solution for this would to to install a second instance of the wrapper albeit with a different name. I woud really like to try this, but although I am quite familiar with joomla, am not a coder and have limited technical skills.

Could you explain step by step what needs to be done to achieve this? where would I need to rename in order for all to work fine? where do i get the com package etc?

many thanks
Greg

16 years 7 months ago #2134 by Saka
It involves being familiar with building a Joomla component from scratch. If you ever made a component you would just need to copy the wrapper code in your new, custom component.

I'm sure there are few tutorials how to make a Joomla component out there.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch