Problem with SEF URLs from menu

16 years 6 months ago #2261 by musiczineguy
This is a strange behavior.  I'm virtually positive it has something to do with naming, but I can't figure it out.. hopefully this is something relatively common.

On my site (which is a music review magazine) I have a menu item for Concerts.

If you drill down:

Concerts
          June - MxPx

You get this URL: www.music-reviewer.com/concerts/june-2007/mxpx/

If you drill down:

Concerts
          August - Dolores O'Riordan

You get this URL: www.music-reviewer.com/concerts/august-2007//

which shows a menu of the two concert items for that month.  If you try to click on either one of those menu items (for either concert) you get the same URL:

www.music-reviewer.com/concerts/august-2007//

which brings you back to the menu again.  So currently any user who tries to look at those two concert reviews (and many others, this is just an example) is unable to do so.  The difference between the setup of the Joomla page, category, section for both the June concert review and the August concert reviews is the same as far as I can tell... but yet it still doesn't work.

I had a similar issue with some JReviews content because the Section name was the same as the Menu name which is a no-no.. but this isn't the same as near as I can tell.. and yet it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #2262 by Saka
If you use short URLs make sure you enter aliases to each article. Otherwise, use long URLs.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 6 months ago #2292 by ericrdb
I had same issue - fixed it for me. Thanks,

Eric DB

16 years 6 months ago #2299 by shackbase
which is the prefered way to use alias' or long URLs from a SE perspective?

I have always used long URLs, does it make any difference other than the prospective clash as the options below if you forget to include the alias?

--Tone

For the latest Joomla! related news, views and reviews, check out www.joomlaviews.com .

16 years 6 months ago #2301 by Saka
You get shorter URLs. And you can also have alternative titles without special chars for example, or if you use non-latin language you can have alternative alias titles in latin alphabetfor URLs.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch