% Symbol in Post Title

16 years 6 months ago #2293 by skoenig
I'm on Joomla 1.0.12 with SEF Advance 5.6.0. It works fine except when a percent symbol is in the unencoded URL...

If I have a post with a % in the title such as:

'10% Off all Weekend'

The link is correctly generated:

'10%25-off-all-weekend'

But I get a 404 error when I follow the link.

Things I've tried

1. Replacing the % symbol in the SEF with _ '%=>_' This produces no link at all.
2. Replacing the % symbol with nothing '%=>' This produces a Typepad style link i.e '10-off-all-weekend' but the link brings up the 404
3. Not using the % symbol at all - This works fine of course!

Any other ideas?

Would '%=>%25' be valid syntax in the SEF replacement dialogue - of course it's already doing that properly but somehow the look up isn't working.

Regards,

~ Steph

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #2300 by shackbase
I don't think you can use a % in a url, I would reocommend using the word percent instead.

--Tone

For the latest Joomla! related news, views and reviews, check out www.joomlaviews.com .

16 years 6 months ago #2305 by skoenig
Thanks Tone,

Happy not to use % in a url but would obviously want to use it in a post title so I guess I'm looking for a good way to simply remove it from the SEF urls... at the moment the methods I've tried to have it ignored had led to problems...

I tried the replace thing as above but that didn't work. Is there a special code I can use in that dialoge to remove it? i.e %=>^ or something - I'm assuming the dialogue works with single characters only.

"10% Off All Blackberry Accessories" => "10-off-all-blackberry-accessories"

Would be just fine. But at the moment I either get server 404 or the URL looks good but leads to SEFadvanced 404...

~ Steph

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch