Article ID in URL

16 years 3 months ago #2831 by cma01
I have been using SEF Advance on my site for awhile and I would like to get the stories included in Google News.

One of the requirements is that each news item has a unique id number that is at least three digits long. 

The easiest solution would be to include the article id in the url.  Is there a way to configure it to display this way?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #2832 by Saka
Yes. Check the documentation and help files.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 2 months ago #2844 by cma01
Thanks!

I was looking for some place to put a variable like in Wordpress, I didn't think it would be that easy.

But now I have another problem.

Now that I am including the article ID in the url's, all of the url's in the search results for my site will be wrong.

I tried setting permanent redirects in the htaccess file, through the CPanel and through the SEF Advance Control Panel and none of them work.  It just goes to the home page of the site.

At one point redirects through the Control Panel did work, now they don't.

16 years 2 months ago #2847 by Saka
It could be possible to set automatic redirect in .htaccess using mod_rewrite. It should take the URL, eliminiate the numbers and redirect to that URL. But it's not something I can support and give you the exact code because it takes testing.

This is a common problem and that's why SEF parameters need to be set when the site is launched and not changed later.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 2 months ago #2850 by cma01
I understand that it is a common problem; however, my issue is not the ability to automatically redirect the old urls without the article id to the new ones with. 

I've already generated that manually.

The problem is that the manually generated redirects in the htaccess file don't work.  I have another Joomla installation with Open SEF installed and redirects set up . . . those work.

I had other redirects set up on this domain that used to work, they don't work now either, so I assumed it was an override in SEF Advance.

I don't really understand why the redirects in the component itself don't work either if I configure them to go from the old to the new.  I thought that was the point of that feature.

16 years 2 months ago #2851 by Saka
The manual redrects in the component should work. If they don't then you don't enter it correctly. Post here how you enter it exactly (Source URL and Target URL).

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch