Problem with international characters

16 years 1 month ago #3026 by ovidiubica
Hello, I bought the component a few days ago but I have several problems with it .

1. Why is character replacement acting both ways?
I want to change ş with s and ţ with t not with some combination of characters that don't replace back in the content. If I replace it with something else than the sef won't have a meaning anymore. (sh404sef manages to do just that)

2. I already have a bunch of errors in my google sitemap due to the 301 redirect that sef advanced issues.

ex.

Title:  CAF dă punctele Stelei înapoi!
Sitemap link: www.resitaonline.ro/Stiri/Sport/CAF-d%C4...-%C3%AEnapoi%21.html

And this is what google shows as 301 redirect in webmaster central:
www.resitaonline.ro/Stiri/Sport/CAF-d%C4...%83%C2%AEnapoi!.html

As you can see, "!" hasn't been cleared.

One more example:
Title: Plătitorii taxei auto îşi pot înmatricula maşinile fără să mai ia în calcul taxa de poluare
Link:
www.resitaonline.ro/Stiri/Economie/Pl%C4...taxa-de-poluare.html
Google webmaster central:
www.resitaonline.ro/Stiri/Economie/Pl%C4...taxa-de-poluare.html

This is really messed up.

This is what I need:

I need it to replace: ăîşţâĂÃŽŞŢ => aistaAISTA
And I need it to clear characters like: !`~:;'@ and most important "

Do you think that's possible or I just threw 40€ off the window?

Thanks
Ovidiu Bica

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #3028 by Saka
This is explained many times on this forum and even on FAQ, but I will repeat.
Because SEF Advance is pure logic SEF component. It doesn't store all URLs in database to later retrieve them from there, as sh404sef and all other does, but does the conversion on-the-fly. This is due to performance reasons but in the same time it requires all characters to be present in the URL in order to calculate them.

For foreign languages it's best to turn on the short URLs and enter aliases for each article without special characters. That way you will not have any URL encoded chars.

The trial version of SEF Advance is freely available and I urge everyone to test it before the purchase!

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

16 years 1 month ago #3037 by GabyZ
If you are using Joomla 1.5 read this: http://www.sakic.net/forum/sef_advance/read_this_no_longer_url_replace_thanks_to_joomla_15-t726.0.html

I see you are romanian...Salut frate ;), vezi url-ul acolo ca am solutia :)

16 years 1 month ago #3045 by ovidiubica
Thanks Gaby, however I'm using 1.0x and my content is being fetched automatically that's why I need it to strip/replace things for me. If I'd write the news myself It wouldn't bother me.

16 years 1 month ago #3048 by Saka
You can make you fetching script to enter the title alias with stripped special characters and turn short URLs in SEF Advance.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch