when a dash should be a dash and not %11

15 years 8 months ago #3720 by shackbase
www.joomlaviews.com/reviews/extension-re...iew-20090114369.html

the article is named JV-Relatives Review - the - between JV and Extensions is being converted to %11.

I have tried to use encode exceptions but the - is always encoded, how can I get - to be encoded as a - (just like as if it was a space).

Thanks!

Tony Lindskog
Joomla Views

For the latest Joomla! related news, views and reviews, check out www.joomlaviews.com .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #3721 by shackbase
I read through some of the related %11 posts and of course the rationale is that if there was two articles named hello-world and hello world - they would have the same url hello-world.

I would still like to be able to override the - converting to %11 as this is not an issue for me.

I did manage to get around it until (hopefully) a permanent solution is made for those few times this is an issue for me.  I just redirected (via SEF Advanced) the %11 url to one with a - instead.

works fine.

--Tone

For the latest Joomla! related news, views and reviews, check out www.joomlaviews.com .

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #3722 by Saka
A explained many times: if hyphen is used as word separator then it must be encoded in your titles. Otherwise SEF Advance would think it's a space and not be able to return correct article.

If you use underscore as word separator then you can have dashes in titles just fine.

Thus, if you use hyphen as word separator, you can't skip dash encoding but you can replace it with some other character, like underscore (in replacements: -=>_). Then you will end up with: jv_relatives-review instead of jv%11relatives-review.

Of course, if you use unique URLs like you do, the dash wouldn't need to be encoded since the ID is passed in URLs anyway. So I guess I can add this switch to SEF Advance but you seem to have found a temporary solution.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

15 years 8 months ago #3724 by shackbase
it would be a nice function to let the webmaster decide if he wants to "risk" the duplicate url risk or automatically set the - to not convert to %11 if unique urls are used?

Speaking of which - is there any benefit or negative to use unique urls or is there no seo difference?

It is by no means (to me) a have to function, it would just be nice if its not that hard to add.

Thanks,
--Tone

15 years 8 months ago #3725 by Saka
I would look into it, shouldn't be that hard.

Don't think it's much difference, it's just that people prefer URLs with no numbers, they look better.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

15 years 8 months ago #3754 by Saka
Fixed in 1.9.0 (on SEF Advance 2008 for J1.5), among other features like improved Joomfish handling (keeping the default language URLs) and legacy SEF URLs redirect.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch