url are retrieved both by title and alias

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #3743 by Greg
Hi,

I found that google retrieve all my articles by two sides, so he tell me that my titles and descriptions are in double.

One url by the title:
url of my site/news/hardware/memoire-ddr2-kingston-hyperx-pc6400-:-le-cas-3,-perf-ou-pas-perf?-20070627904.html

And one url by the alias set on the article:
url of my site/news/hardware/memoire-ddr2-kingston-hyperx-pc6400--le-cas-3-perf-ou-pas-perf-20070627904.html

The actual settings of this article are:

Title: Mémoire DDR2 Kingston HyperX PC6400 : le cas 3, perf ou pas perf?
Alias: memoire-ddr2-kingston-hyperx-pc6400--le-cas-3-perf-ou-pas-perf

And I must say that my "Use title alias" is set to YES 

So shouldn't this article only see by one side ? If an alias is set, so this must be only accessible by an url with the alias, no ?

I remember that I haven't got that with joomla 1.0.x

And I'm wondering if this is normal that I can access to this article even by this url ?
url of my site/news/hardware/perf-20070627904.html

The only way to get the 404 is to change the unique ID at the end of the URL, but by this way we can often reach another article or a category.

Thanks by advance for the explanations

Joomla 3.4.3 / SefAdvance 1.8.0 / AJAX Register 1.8.8 / virtuemart 3.0.9.4 / PHP 5.4.43

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #3746 by Saka
When you use "unique URL" feature then the article is accessed by the ID passed in the URL. It doesn't matter what you have before that, the names are merely for SEO purposes.

So you should be careful not to change such features AFTER you have been indexed by Google or, if you do, to define redirects from old URLs to new ones.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch