Moving from 1.0 to 1.5, backlinks and SEF Advance

15 years 5 months ago #4160 by damo
Hi

I'm moving a site from Joomla 1.0. to 1.5 and I've noticed that Joomla 1.5 now has backlink support. My question is, if someone visits my site using the old URL, which is then converted into the new URL with Joomla 1.5 - will SEF Advance support this - as in, if I'm using SEF Advance, will the old link to to the new one?

Have I made myself clear??

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #4161 by Saka
If you already use SEF Advance on your 1.0 site most of the links will remain the same after migration to 1.5 (some exceptions might be blog views etc), no additional settings needed.

If you use built-in SEF in 1.0 then you can use "Redirect legacy SEF URLs" and they will be redirected to new URLs (if the IDs remained the same after migration).

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

15 years 5 months ago #4164 by damo
thanks Saka

I didn't use any SEF URL's on the old site .. so I'm guessing it should be okay?

15 years 5 months ago #4165 by Saka
Not even core URLs? In that case you just have to turn on redirect non-sef to SEF and hopefully it should work for most of the URLs (if IDs remain the same after migration).

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

15 years 5 months ago #4166 by damo
I didn't use any SEF on the old site ..

I've actually just moved the site now and the content links are working fine - as in going to the new link

But I'm having an issue with the blog categories .. but I'm sure I'll fix them okay .. or I hope so anyway.

Cheers

15 years 5 months ago #4167 by damo
I am actually having a problem with one ..

I had this URL:

index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=23&Itemid=34

show up quite high in Google .. and now I want it to redirect to it's new URL .. I've got it set up I think, but is there anything obvious I might be missing?

If you check my account, you'll see the domain isn't the thevillablog.co.uk one ..

Or can I PM you?

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch